Rodent bait – A risk to pet health?

In Australia it isn’t uncommon for people to bait there own houses in an attempt to reduce the amount of mice and rats found around the household. The problem with these poisonous baits is that they are not targeted at a specific pest, and instead can harm a very wide variety of animals that choose to ingest it. This means that not only may your animals ingest this bait, but depending on the placing and quantity of the rodent bait, you may also be feeding native animals poisonous bait.


Rodent baits such as that used for mice and rats commonly used across Australia contain a chemical named warfarin. Warfarin works by altering the blood clotting ability of pests, essentially causing them to internally and externally bleed to death. This can be of great concern when curious pets are left on their own with such chemicals. The reason these chemicals are not necessarily deemed especially dangerous to pets by the general public is probably because of the lack of any serious side effects. Poisoning of this kind can often look as if your pet dog or cat is simply feeling a little unwell. In reality, there is a very large chance your pet is in the first stages of what may ultimately lead to death.


A few giveaway signs that your pet may have been poisoned are light gums and a bloated belly due to internal bleeding and pooling of blood in the abdomen. If you believe your animal has eaten or may be eating rodent bait, it is best to contact your vet immediately. It is also good practice to try and induce vomiting in the pet if it has eaten the bait within the hour. If the bait has been eaten prior to this, it is to late as the bait toxins have most likely already entered the blood stream.


Our pest control Brisbane Company Reliance Pest Control uses only the best quality equipment and most recent tested and proven procedures to conduct our services. If you’re looking for effective pet friendly pest control, give us a call today on 0477 557 202!